Friday 28 August 2009

Buying Real Estate in Uruguay


So I was approached to do a small interview offering my opinions on the burgeoning real estate market here in Uruguay...I expected nothing would come of it, but alas, here I am being quoted in surname form!

Nuwire Investor: " Uruguay Real Estate On A Steady Beat"

On another note, I really have to apologise for how ridiculously sporadic this blog has been, I guess it has mirrored my hectic life in Uruguay so far! But now that I am back from a quick trip to Ireland I plan to "settle" (in so far as that word could ever be used to describe me!) at least for a little while. And here's what's coming up in the next few posts:

- Banking & Investment in Uruguay

- What to bring & what to leave behind

- Why move to Uruguay?

- Searching for an apartment from outside Uruguay

- My new favourite galleries and art exhibits

- Montevideo Zoo!
(*update: I went, I won't write a post on it - too depressing. Just take my word for it - don't go)


** Oh and if you're reading this and you have any requests for a blog post on anything let me know and I'll see what I can do!

2 comments:

  1. i am 65 and getting by on a slender soc sec stipend. without much information beyond uruguay's progressive stances on issues of importance to me and a desire to reside outside the US proper, it seems possible that uruguay might suit my needs. a lot would depend on finding inexpensive lodging long term and counting on the conversion rate to give me bang for my buck. i live simply, although accessible broadband and a/c are rather bottom line. any hope for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack,

    Moving country, especially when planning for it to be your last move, you want to be very sure about it! Take your time, do you research, my best tip would be to come here for a month or more, stay in an apartment in the place you would intend to live and see how it fits with you - in the end it always depends on the individual.

    Yes Uruguay is progressive for the region but who knows, things MAY change in the next election...what are the "issues of importance" to you? because some of those issues may depend on the administration in power.

    What do you consider "inexpensive lodging"? What is your price range? Do you want to live in the city or up the coast or in the interior? All those affect price.

    As for the conversion rate giving you better bang for your buck...don't count on anything! Who knows where the dollar will be in a few months or a few years! But I can tell you honestly that Uruguay is not "cheap". That is a general misconception!

    ReplyDelete